Sounds I do not love…
1. Motorcycles with ridiculous pipes. How obnoxious. Far worse than the rolling subwoofers (aka cars with the bass turned up way too loud.)
2. The chirp of the fire alarm in the middle of the night.
3. The eery silence of a power outage.
4. Kitty throwing up.
5. The mockingbird who starts his day at 4am, right outside my bedroom window.
6. A mosquito, somewhere by my head, in the middle of the night.
7. The phone ringing during naptime.
8. My mother sneezing.
Sounds I love…
1. The rumble of a plow in the middle of a winter’s night.
2. Silence in the house in the morning when all of the other inhabitants are sleeping.
3. The giggles and screeches that emanate from my son and husband while they play in the sprinkler.
4. The soft snore of my little girl, and her grumbles and chirps as she wakes and stretches.
5. The opening chords to songs like, “With or Without You,” and “Born to Run,” especially when I get to hear them live.
6. The crack of the bat, and the sounds of the baseball game played on the field a few streets over.
7. My white noise machine.
8. The theme songs to “Prairie Home Companion” and “All Thing Considered,” that remind me of my youth.
9. The piccolo solo in “Stars and Stripes Forever.”