50 Days of Gratitude
Phew! I’m getting there. I’m trying to avoid repetition, but have been tempted to recycle some items. For instance, I would like to find 8 ways to be thankful for coffee. Lattes, coffee, iced coffee, cafe con leche, Dunkin Donuts, Irish coffee. That’s seven. What am I up to now? 180-something list items? You try to make a gratitude list that long and not put coffee on it at least twice.
140. Plum’s cutest little woodchuck teeth
141. A good steak
142. A husband who loves yard work
143. Warm, clean laundry – When I was small… wait, I was never small… when I was young, I used to lie on the couch and have my father put all of the fresh-and-hot-from-the-dryer laundry right on top of me. Weird, but comforting, too.
146. Sticky buns
147. Jeans – I mistyped this so for a second I wondered which “Jean” I was thankful for. There is a woman named Jean in my office, and I suppose I am thankful for her, but I didn’t remember putting her on my list. If I can’t wear yoga pants every day, I would like to wear jeans (not Jean). A girl can dream, and I dream of jeannies. (Ouch, that was terrible.)
148. The smell of wood smoke – It means November is here, the days are short, the leaves are down, the wood is stacked and the slippers are on.
149. Meatloaf – With a ketchup and brown sugar glaze, and mashed potatoes on the side. Mmmmm. You took the words right out of my mouth! (Okay, someone stop me, this is getting ridiculous!)
151. Ohio – Blue state in 2012. I am thankful for that.
153. Kind words
154. Anniversaries – Happy #4 to me and my first husband.*
Photo by Hinkley Photo
156. Coffee milk – I think this is a New England thing. Coffee syrup + milk = delicious. Add a salami sandwich (#177) on white bread with mustard and you have a delicious and nutritionally lacking lunch of champions.
158. Dinner dates
159. Boots – When you are 2.5 and you have big feet, your boots go up to your knees. But you don’t care much and insist on wearing them everywhere. Even with shorts.
160. Parenthood – I may spend a lot of time whining that it is hard, but it is also so very very good.
161. Those jelly candy fruit slice things
162. Working garbage disposals – I am mostly thankful for these because currently we do not have one.
163. In-laws – No really, I’m not joking. Mine are great.
164. Butter – REAL butter. What is up with people eating all sorts of food that isn’t actually food? I had breakfast at a friend’s house a few weeks ago and we had coffee and breakfast sandwiches. Seems simple enough, right? But no. Bacon? Not real bacon. Cheese? Not real cheese, soy cheese. Butter? Not real butter – some sort of butter-ish spread. Cream for the coffee? Not real cream, flavored Coffeemate. I am no health nut, and my diet is passable at best, but I do have one thing going for me. I try very hard to make sure the food I eat is ACTUAL FOOD. Bring on the butter. (And please disregard all of the items on this list made with high fructose corn syrup.)
169. Lobster – See also #164.
170. Modern medicine – My dear Plum, we are working hard to get those ears fixed, my dear. Here’s hoping the 5th time is the charm.
172. This day
173. My own special blend of slightly jaded optimism – Sarky Tartlet, Jaded Pollyanna, I’ve been called both. And while I’m content to whinge and whine about the current state of affairs, deep down I still, and will always believe in people, in community, in love and in kindness. I may not say that out loud – cynicism is easier – but it’s true.
174. The swirl of sweet Plum’s hair – She used to have a perfect swirl of a belly button – alas, no longer. But it appears the swirl has migrated to her head. Her hair falls naturally into a perfect little vortex on the top of her little strawberry-blonde head.
175. Roast chicken
176. A purring cat – The other night, Mr. Pickle discovered that cats purr. He was confused and then amazed. It took him 2.5 years to discover this, because he finally figured out the best way to pet our sweet Lula cat is from head-to-tail, and not vice versa. Pickle thinks purring is a fabulous cat trick. I suspect his amazement will subside in a few weeks when he gets his big boy bed and the purring cat tries to sleep on his head.
178. Many happy memories
181. Plumbers – See #162.
183. Live theater – I miss it. Seeing it. Doing it. All of it.
184. Wild salmon
185. Calm evenings
187. Shoes that are comfortable AND cute – Right now I am crushing on Cole Haan flats and wedges with Nike Air technology. Perhaps Santa will bring these? I’ve always wanted my own pair of blue suede shoes!
Cole Haan Milly Wedge in Cobalt
* He is my only husband, but that joke never gets old.