I set a lofty goal for 2016 – to finish 25 books.
I didn’t make it.
Here are my 20 books of 2016:
My least favorites of the bunch?
- The Paying Guests (too long, not particularly compelling, and I just didn’t care about the characters very much)
- Shrill (I wanted to like it, but I felt like it was billed as something new, brash and fresh, and it just wasn’t)
My favorites of the bunch?
- The Nightingale (so good! I love historical fiction, and I loved these characters, and the writing)
- The Handmaid’s Tale (why had I never read this before?! It is brilliant, and terrifying. The mini-series is coming in April – starring Elisabeth Moss! I can’t wait!)
Goals for 2017?
- Read 25 books (I just finished my first book of 2017 – The Muse)
- Finish the Harry Potter series (I am planning to read these to my children, and wanted to read them all myself, first)
- Finally read The Goldfinch (it has been on my nightstand for 2 years)
- Read at least 3 non-fiction titles. I’m thinking Between the World and Me, When Breath Becomes Air and Born to Run will make the cut. Speaking of…
- Listen to Bruce Springsteen’s autobiography Born To Run on audio book (an awesome Christmas present from my dad!) I was going to read it in hardcover, but Bruce reads the audio book version himself. I’m a big fan (I’ve been to 50 shows!) and the book is poetry, so I’m going to dedicate my commute to listening. And yes, I’m counting it in my 2017 total.
Do you have any reading goals for 2017? Suggestions for books you think I’d love? Books to avoid? Please let me know! And connect with me on Goodreads, too!